New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association (NZTBA) Chief Executive Nick Johnson will step down on Friday 2 October, bringing his three-year tenure leading the Association to a close.
Johnson has been appointed Chief Executive of Waikato Thoroughbred Racing and will take up the new role following his departure from the NZTBA.
Since joining the NZTBA in October 2023, Johnson has guided the Association through a period of significant change, overseeing a major constitutional and branch restructure, strengthening its financial position and commercial partnerships, and maintaining a strong focus on advocacy for breeders with government and across the wider racing industry.
NZTBA President John Thompson said Johnson had been instrumental in strengthening the Association and championing the interests of New Zealand breeders.
“Nick has made a tremendous contribution to the NZTBA and the wider thoroughbred industry during his time as Chief Executive. On behalf of our members, staff and Council, I want to express our sincere gratitude for everything he has achieved, as well as the time, energy and expertise he has committed to supporting the Association and New Zealand’s breeding industry.
“While we are sad to see Nick leave, we are pleased his talents, and experience will not be lost to the industry. I look forward to seeing him take this next step in his career and continue contributing to the strength of New Zealand racing through his new role at Waikato Thoroughbred Racing,” Thompson said.
Johnson said the decision to leave the Association had not been an easy one.
“The past three years have comfortably been the most enjoyable and rewarding of my career. It was always a goal of mine to work in the thoroughbred industry, and to have had the opportunity to represent New Zealand breeders has been a genuine privilege.”
“I’m proud of what we have achieved over that time, but it is the people I will remember most. The conversations, phone calls, farm visits and events around the country have been a huge part of why I have enjoyed the role so much, and I have made many friendships along the way.”
“I’m enormously grateful to the Council for the trust and support they have given me, to the team I have worked alongside, and particularly to our members. I’ve always felt I was given the freedom to have a view, advocate for the things I believed mattered and try to make a difference for breeders, and I have never taken that opportunity for granted.”
“It is a great industry with a very bright future if we make the right decisions. Breeders are at the foundation of all of that, and I’ve been incredibly proud to represent the sector.”
“The thoroughbred industry is my passion, and to be able to build a career in an industry that I love is something I never take for granted. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the NZTBA, and I will genuinely miss the Association, its members and the people I have worked alongside.
“I’m pleased to be staying within the thoroughbred industry and excited about what the future holds in my new role with Waikato Thoroughbred Racing. I look forward to building on the relationships I have formed and continuing to contribute to New Zealand racing from a different part of the industry.”
Johnson will remain with the NZTBA until 2 October and will work with the NZTBA Council over the coming weeks to ensure a thorough handover.
The Council will shortly commence the recruitment process for the Association’s next Chief Executive, with further details to be provided in due course.


