Industry Based Training
NZTBA EQUINE BREEDING COURSES
EXCITING NEW COURSE - ENROL NOW!
If you have an affinity with horses and are committed to the high level of care needed to nurture quality horses, you'll find a career here.
Breeding - Level 3
Targeting more recent graduates to the industry, this programme will provide the skills and knowledge to assist with all aspects of breeding, mating, and the early education of young horses providing a solid foundation for your career. The course includes;
Assisting practically with:
- Handling, routine health and nutrition of weanlings and yearlings
- Routine care of paddocked horses
- Reproductive physiology and cycling
- Equine conformation
- Pasture management
- Prevention, identification, and treatment of ailments
- Communicating and working in a team and legislative obligations in equine workplace
Duration: 13 months
Qualification: NZQA New Zealand Certificate in Equine Breeding (Stud Groom) Level 3
Breeding – Level 4 Apprenticeship
Formalise your workplace learning and gain an accredited Level 4 NZ qualification by completing this Breeding apprenticeship.
Implement and monitor:
- Stud farm breeding programme and teasing
- Foaling, post foaling activities, foal development
- Foal development
- Educating weanlings to yearlings and managing health and nutrition
- Yearling preparation programme through to sales
- Assessing and evaluating conformation and action
- Pasture and feed management
- Preventative health programme
- Health and safety plan for a workplace
- Equine physiology and psychology
- Fostering orphan foals
- Managing conformation faults
- Evolution of the thoroughbred
- Evaluating potential and practical aspects of genetics
- Evaluating pasture production methods
Duration: 21 months
Qualification: NZQA Level 4
Further your education in a learning environment!
Benefits of industry training
Students who successfully complete these courses have a number of competitive advantages in terms of a rewarding career in the thoroughbred industry, including:
- New Zealand Certificate in Equine Breeding (level 3 and/or 4)
- Eligibility to apply industry sponsored scholarships to the Irish National Stud
- Increased employment opportunities both nationally and worldwide
- Complimentary membership to the NZTBA whilst studying, including the Stallion Register
- Employed in the NZ industry
- Age at least 16 years, with no upper limit
- Good health, sound character and motivation to succeed
within the industry
From Bloodstock Agent to Yearling Groom, there are many career opportunities within the vibrant New Zealand thoroughbred breeding industry.
If you are willing to work hard and have a passion for horses the thoroughbred industry can be a rewarding career path and many have travelled the world doing a job they love.
Racing Jobs (NZ) explores different career options and advertises current vacancies in the industry.
The Primary ITO offers breeding courses catering for those starting out in the industry to those wanting to further themselves on a management level.
From stable assistant to jockey, the Primary ITO covers all facets of the racing industry in their courses offered in New Zealand.